Volkswagen is no stranger to quality. The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE proves that Germany’s premier people’s car maker is still capable of putting out a high quality vehicle at a reasonable price.
The SE is the mid-range trim of the Jetta model and if you want keep your outlay at less than $20,000 then it’s a reasonable choice. Like the slightly more upscale SEL, the SE features a 2.5-liter, 20-valve, DOHC, in-line 5-cylinder engine. It puts out 170 horsepower and 177 pound feet of torque.
The power steering is electromechanical with variable assist and active return.
You also get anti-lock brakes and a 5-speed manual transmission. The 6-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic and Sport mode is optional. The SE also comes with all the standard traction control features of the SEL.
On the inside, the SE trim has the following features the S trim does not have:
- Front center arm rest with storage compartment
- Cruise control
- Front and rear carpet floor mats
- Dual front reading lights
- Driver and front passenger illuminated visor vanity mirrors
- A more comprehensive airbag system
- Front comfort seats
- And several audio options to include a Bluetooth hands-free calling system, Media Device Interface (MDI) with iPod cable, 6-speaker touchscreen Premium VIII sound system, and SIRIUS Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription
On the other end, what the SEL brings to the table that the Jetta SE does not are the following interior features and options:
- Sport door sills option
- Multi-function trip computer
- Keyless access with push button start
- Bluetooth hands-free calling system, MDI with iPod cable, and SIRIUS Satellite radio with 3-month trial subscription are standard features
- Heated front seats are standard; they are optional on the SE trim
- Driver’s seat has adjustable lumbar support
- Additional comfort options not available on the SE
Exterior features available as standard and options on the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE include:
- Roof-mounted satellite radio antenna option
- Crash-optimized front end
- Fully galvanized sheet metal
- Heated power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Power tilting/sliding tinted sunroof option
- Heated windshield washer nozzles option
The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE is a front wheel drive vehicle that gets 23 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway. It doesn’t get any better than that.